ZENHEX.COM

Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: places to buy computer/parts?
teh Raven
ZenHexWeekly Editor
formerly Raven_N_Spooky

Mood: accidental teamkiller

fame: 2542
honor: 115

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 09:54 AM
places to buy computer/parts?

does anyone know of any computer sites to buy/build your own pc that is not newegg or cyberpower for the US... might even do UK or Canada if its got good reviews. thanks.

Lord Chamos
Warrior

Mood: post-mortem rub

fame: 5556
honor: 2651

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 10:19 AM

YOU JUST GOT A BRAND NEW COMPUTER. JEEZ WOMAN YOU ARE INSATIABLE.

samehada
Level-1 Raider
formerly Samehada

Mood: Fuuuuuuck

fame: 1744
honor: 442

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 10:22 AM

YEAH WHAT THE LORD SAID!!

Tigerdirect.com?

teh Raven
ZenHexWeekly Editor
formerly Raven_N_Spooky

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 01:16 PM

yeah about that... the computer had to be sent back due to being a piece of shit. i would say literally but it came in a generic box. basically i was able to use it maybe a grand total of 16 hours during the whole 2 weeks it was here as it would not recognize either VGA or DVI cables attached to it.

imagine spending $15 and waiting a week to find that your op computer can't recognize a goddamn cable designed for it and if you attempt to "fix" the hardware it would void the warranty.

so the guys and i are looking for something other than newegg and their pieces of shit for me to actually use. i shipped back the shit yesterday and its going to take them abotu 2 weeks to process it. :mad:

Lord Chamos
Warrior

Mood: post-mortem rub

fame: 5556
honor: 2651

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 01:25 PM

Huh....

Are you.... sure you were doing it right? :lol: Sorry, am not at work today, but still in work mode.

teh Raven
ZenHexWeekly Editor
formerly Raven_N_Spooky

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 01:35 PM

yes. that comptuer was troubleshooting by 8 different people, one of which set up everything like fan speed and cosmetic alterations via teamviewer and it still would not work properly.

the fan running at 90% speed wasn't even able to stop that thing from blue screening on just opening chrome with ftb running.

TheWanderingJew
Vassal

Mood: I think there's a pulse...

fame: 0
honor: 0

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 08:37 PM

The chances that you got all shitty parts is a bit lower than just having gotten a POS motherboard or video card.

It's not really Neweggs fault if they ship a faulty part though, since they don't manufacture things, but they should at least replace it.

I should probably ask, did you buy the computer as a whole set, or as pieces which you then assembled?

Either way, don't blame Newegg. Everyone that I know has bought at least one faulty part from somewhere, Newegg or otherwise, because it's just something that happens. On the whole though, they have pretty good deals for computers and computer parts, much better than walking into Best Buy or Altex and buying stuff that way.

If you're interested in building a computer, you should search your area for stores that carry parts. We have Altex here in Texas, and they can be a bit pricey sometimes, but they also run pretty neat sales.

You can walk in and build a great PC for under 2k. You just have to pick the pieces out yourself, and understand compatibility of parts and such, though that's not as big a problem now as it used to be.

EDIT: The blue screen of death is really just the ultimate catch all for issues that don't shut the computer down, but that the computer doesn't have exceptions for. It could be caused by any number of things, but over-heating, RAM overusage, and CPU overusage usually don't cause the blue screen. Overheating usually causes a shutdown, and RAM/CPU overusage usually terminates programs. In extreme cases, your computer can shut down due to memory and computation issues, but it usually resolves them by closing programs and ending processes.

EDIT EDIT: I mean... computers are hard to figure out, because there are sooooooo many things that can go wrong at any given time, and there isn't always an obvious giveaway as to what is wrong.

Speak up. Speak clear. Speak ill of me.

Sounds of James Hetfield
Obscurity has no Hero
Pray for the Kingdom

teh Raven
ZenHexWeekly Editor
formerly Raven_N_Spooky

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 11:45 PM

oh i'm not blaming newegg for this at the moment, it mostly cyberpower's fault. my guess is the computer came to me already preused otherwise they would have been aware of the issues and sent a newer one.

i should have recorded it, but the mouse it came with when slightly shaken you could hear the sound of loose or broken parts and upon clicking the left clicker you would be greeted with the sound similar to that of a dying irl mouse.

cyberpower doesn't exactly have the best rating in overall user reviews.. sure it is top tier for gaming but when you look at actual customer reviews they all seem to blend together as all having the same issues i did. such as unseated graphic cards, fractured motherboards, pieces unscrewing from screwing cables in... it is all a whole mess, but thankfully it is getting refunded without a restocking fee attached.

unfortunately they.. as in the people who funded it for me.. does not have such a high budget for it so a $2k gaming pc is kind of out there in terms of actual budget.

the issue with the blue screen is that the thing that used the most ram was only allocated 3.5 gigs of the 8 gigs it had, so it shouldn't have bluescreened from any overload of the memory usages if it wasn't set to use the maximum possible.

the whole mess just seemed to be illfitted parts all bundled together off an assembly line and it ended up being 2 weeks of wasted time to just have it working for less than 16 hours spread over 3 days where it would actually recognize the cables.

TheWanderingJew
Vassal

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 01:21 AM

Lol, 2k would be the lowest price region for a computer that is absolutely top of the line in all respects.

For about 500 dollars you could probably make a machine that does whatever you really need it to do.

But yeah, I wouldn't buy a whole computer unless I knew it was new. Then again, I probably would never do that either.

You could try to do what I did, which was cobble together a computer from all the spare and unused and unwanted parts that other people had or where about to get rid of.

Got my tower and my power supply and my Nvidia GTX 560 from my friend who was building a new computer, and I got my shitty ass 2.2 dual core AMD Athalon from my brother who had replaced it and not gotten rid of it.

I can play most games on it without problem. I do have issues with stuff that is CPU intensive because the CPU is the worst thing I have, but it works for my purposes, which is almost esclusively limited to browsing the web, playing Dota, and playing Skyrim.

Sounds of James Hetfield
Obscurity has no Hero
Pray for the Kingdom

teh Raven
ZenHexWeekly Editor
formerly Raven_N_Spooky

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 11:47 AM

i was considering it. i would have to be on a forever long skype call holding pieces up like "is this it?" while putting it together. they might actually prefer that if the guys still have the list of parts they originally wanted.

so long as i can use it for gaming and it works with VGA or DVI then I'm good. they also funded me this giant ass screen because they said my other one it "too small". now i have this 1920x1030 monitor and it dwarfs my old computer by like 2-3 inches. o.o

the whole thing with cyberpower just ended up being a complete waste of my time. i'm sure newegg has lots of great products, but that pc they sent me turned out to be a bunch of broken parts shoved into a fancy case. :(

TheWanderingJew
Vassal

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 07:39 PM

I would be super surprised if there was a video card on the market that didn't support DVI at the least.

I'm sure you could also find a youtube video describing how to put your computer together.

I'm glad that my high school offered a class that taught computer assembly and maintenance. That's really come in handy.

Sounds of James Hetfield
Obscurity has no Hero
Pray for the Kingdom

Go To Top